Dementia Care eLearning course
Do you need to improve your Dementia Care training?
Helping you to support people with dementia: improving the quality of their experience - and yours.
How this online course can help you
"dementia presents a huge challenge to society, both now and increasingly in the future. ... Currently, only about one-third of people with dementia receive a formal diagnosis or have contact with specialist services at any time in their illness" (National Dementia Strategy). Over half a million people are affected in England alone; this number is set to rise considerably as more people live longer, and the current cost to the NHS is estimated at 1.3 billion a year (The NHS Confederation)
This interactive e-learning course is designed to advance the National Strategy for Dementia and will provide learners with the education needed to care well for a person with dementia. The course will enable admiral nurses, health and social care practitioners, professionals and family carers to work well with people living with dementia. The Subject Matter Expert is Dr Ann Marshall, OPMH Directorate Lead Clinical Psychologist together with expertise from Dementia UK.
I found the course very straightforward, and the level perfect for someone's first time exploring the subject. I undertook the course as I am considering getting involved in research activity on dementia - so feel that I have the 'foundation' information now to build on. Keep up the good work !
- Module 1: Understanding the experience of living with dementia and definitions
- Module 2: The person-centred approach to caring well for people with dementia
- Module 3: Communication and well being
- Module 4: Caring well for people as their dementia progresses
- Module 5: Working together - a partnership approach
- Course certificate
By the end of the course participants will be able to
- Identify the main features of dementia and the three main types of dementia
- Explain the principles of person-centred care work with people living with dementia
- Know and understand the principles of good communication with people living with dementia
- Explore the needs of family carers
- Know where to find support and advice on dementia matters
Benefits of the course
This dementia awareness course will benefit organisations and their partner agencies by providing essential information to develop a comprehensive understanding of the care of people with dementia. The e-learning approach provides an invaluable tool for blended learning strategies and is especially suitable for service groups who have difficulties in releasing staff to attend training sessions or where local capacity to deliver sessions is not sufficient. E-learning offers users the chance to work at their own pace, with a Certificate on conclusion of the course including assessments.
Average course duration: 2 hours 45 minutes if completed in a single session.
Tablet, laptop, or desktop machine running Windows, Mac or Linux and a modern web browser. The course will play on iPhone and Android smart phones although the smaller screen size would mean the need to zoom and/or pan.
Add to Basket
* Discounts available for organisations requiring multiple user accounts. Please contact us.